Wednesday, May 04, 2005

May 4th

Today started off with a suprise... During Jim's dressing change, he passed out. Didn't bump anything on the way down (got him to sit down when he was feeling faint) and I was able to lower him from where he was sitting to the floor in a slow and graceful way... But definitely gave him a shock... He was only out for a few seconds.... Turns out the doctor and nurses thought he looked a little dehydrated yesterday plus I found out he didn't eat much yesterday as well (scrambled eggs, chicken nuggets, and 2 slices of pizza - not enough for one recovering). So gave him some OJ, protein shake, klondike bar, and gatorage and stayed with him until he felt better... Left him with a house stocked with food (crackers, soup, sandwich materials, PP&J, gatorage, V8, milk, left over pizza) and with orders to drink and eat more, so he should be ok until I get home...

Back to yesterday... He got to St Agnes around 1pm and they took blood and urine for testing and took a CT scan... He also got his Procrit injection... And they removed his staples!!!! : ) This ended around 5pm and he drove back to my house and took a long nap...

He has talked with St Agnes this morning (partly about the faint and partly about the results). He's still worried about the fever (it came back last night ~101, with the sweating again...). They said that the test results were coming back normal and if he had the fever again tonight, then they would probably schedule the CT scan for tomorrow. That's all I know for now...

2 comments:

Kevin Kersey said...

Jennifer, you definitely need to keep Jim hydrated. That is one of the biggest dangers after surgery (besides blod clots). Make sure he drinks about 80 fl oz a day. And caffiene drinks don't count. Roni had to be the drink police for me, otherwise I wouldn't have done it myself. Just too wiped out.

Keep hanging in there. Jim L and you are in our prayers.

Kevin

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen and Jim,

How rotten that the fever keeps returning every evening! I've had my share (twice is plenty!) of spontaneous low-fever passing out manouvers, that's no fun at all.

Good to here that vigilance finally got through to the hospital folks and they are now offering advice to Jim while he is home.

It sounds like water, sleep and inner strength are what you both need! As always please let me know if I can lend a hand, be it one from afar. You are both in my thoughts and best wishes.

love
Liz