Friday, April 22, 2005

More Good News

Hello.

Jim's Aunt was released from the hospital today. Her sugar levels have stabilized. So now, both she and Jim's Mom are staying at my house. Tomorrow Jim's brother Will and family will be coming down to the hospital to pick them up.

Jim is also making progress... Over three walks today he's done 12 laps around the 7th floor. And he's up to sips of water and ice chips... He's making better progress now than when he was recovering from his appendectomy.

They are going to remove the tubes that deliver a local anesthesia around the incision on Sunday (it's a new 5-day treatment they are trying and Jim's the 5th patient with it, they think it works wonderfully - so do I). Then when his bowels start to work, they'll remove the NG tube. And once he starts eating, then the catheter goes... So he's making real nice progress..

All that's left is waiting for the pathology report from the biopsies Dr Sardi made and those are due early next week...

Thanks for reading...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen,

Trying to sort out how to send a comment.

This is a trial run...

-Liz

Anonymous said...

Hola,

Me again.

Thanks for posting this blog, it really helps in keeping up to date. I'm very glad to hear that Jim is recovering quickly. It sounds like a pretty intense surgery. I have my fingers crossed for good news next week.

I'm also glad to hear that his Aunt is recovering. Do you know if she is Type II diabetic, or Type I? Diabetic shock is a sugar low, so I wonder what could cause a sugar spike. Scary.

I imagine that you must be exhausted! Wow! Good luck with it all.

love
Liz

Anonymous said...

HI Liz,
This is Jim's sister-in-law, Anna. I just wanted to add that there was a combination of problems going on with Jim's aunt at the time. Not only was her sugar well over 500, but her potassium level was at 8.8 (lethal levals), and her oxygen level in her blood was low, and her pulse rate at one time went down to 20. So it ws a combination of many things that had her at death's door. Why it all happened, noone knows. It's still a mistery. But just letting you know that we're back in Wilkes-Barre, and she ate well for dinner which made me happy to see.....Jen, don't tell Jim we had Pizza for dinner, hehehe. He did ask me to bring one for him when we picked them up at the hospital.